I’m keeping it to 10, in no particular order:
- Before he was born, and keep in mind I had already been blessed with 3 beautiful children under the age of 5, I used to think to myself, someone is missing. I could not shake the feeling and it did not go away until he arrived almost 5 years later.
- As a baby, with a few teeth, his favorite thing to do was to gnaw on the chinese barbecue spare rib bones in his exersaucer. Somewhere I have an awesome photo.
- He is the life of every party and the kid that all the other kids gravitate towards. He accepts this responsibility with a deep humility and total modesty that makes me weep when I watch him. He just knows how to be fully present for people.
- He is nice to absolutely everyone, loyal and strong.
- He still, at the age of almost 15, holds my hand in public because he knows I really love it.
- He is never ever afraid to express his true feelings to me, even when he knows it is going to be hard for me to hear.
- He has a ferocious love for his brothers and sister, in spite of the way they sometimes treat him.
- He lights me up with his love for me. He’ll chat and offer really funky insights and perspectives that belie his age.
- He thinks I’m really funny.
- He’s always been G. for me, someone I can count on 100 percent of the time. Just a great Big lovely guy. I miss him whenever he is not around.
Oh my goodness G., I’m overwhelmed by all of it. I love you Gareth!