At least once a week I have a new yoga student who comes to me and says something close to, “Well, don’t expect too much from me, I’m completely inflexible.” I smile, and always say the same thing: “You are here, and you are perfect exactly the way you are.” I swear to God, that is exactly what I say.
And I mean it. Believe me, it’s a totally hard fought statement, one that I learned in the mire of my own muckety muck thinking, and I’m completely and totally overwhelmed by it and grateful for it.
It’s a day to day thing my version of perfection. It’s encompassed in the moment, upheld by the subtle and gentle encounters that influence my day; those loving nudges toward more grace-filled living, that open me up to the fullest expression of myself.
A few that revealed themselves today:
- Abigail saw the light while outlining her persuasive essay.
- G made dinner for two on his own, pork tenderloin with brown rice and scrambled eggs, and served it to me in a bowl with a spoon.
- Barb tells me she’s inspired.
- Where once I saw an uphill climb, I now envision infinite possibility.
- Sasha went to a hookah bar.
I rest easier now than I ever did before. I’m more grateful, wide-open, accepting, willing to rest in my own not knowing…..trusting in the goodness of my heart. When I encounter my own inflexibility I don’t dance with it anymore. Honestly, I pick a new partner, circumstance, place or way of thinking, that frees my soul and literally unyokes me from the potential constriction of my own negative thinking, inviting me to whirl around the dance floor, renewed, energized and in love.